History of the Timmins Chamber of Commerce
The Timmins Chamber of Commerce was formed in 1949 when a group of local businessmen, led by Dr. J.B. McClinton, undertook the initiative to form the Porcupine Chamber of Commerce. It began with an overall goal of securing the future of northern Ontario and pushing the area in terms of growth and prosperity. Since then, the Chamber has since expanded its mandate to include advocating for business interests, lobbying for the growth and economic stability of the region and hosting various networking events. Chamber highlights over the years include involvement in the creation of the Timmins airport, Tourism Information Centre, museum, and the Timmins Economic Development Corporation.
History of the City of Timmins
Though the City of Timmins is best known for its mining and forestry, the history of the Timmins-Porcupine area goes back beyond the early days of the Porcupine mining camps. Archaeological and historical studies done in the area indicate that the first people to settle in the area were the nomadic people of the Shield Archaic culture whose first record of existence dates back to 5,500 BC. Others from Europe came to the area in the late 1600s. They were explorers and traders who established outposts in the region to capitalize on the fur trade. It has even been postulated that Radisson and Des Grosseillers trapped in the area, and had an outpost on Nighthawk Lake. The Hudson’s Bay Company established several trading posts along major trading routes in the area. The Northwest Company also operated several posts.
Timmins was founded in 1912; the community was a “by-product” of the Porcupine Gold Rush. Situated 680 km north of Toronto, the camp attracted men and women eager to find their fortune and carve a name for themselves in “New Ontario”. Starting in 1907, the area became home to dozens of prospectors who explored the areas around Porcupine Lake and the Frederick House River.
To read a more complete history of the City of Timmins, please click here.